Subscribe Free
in Flight Services & Support

Etihad acquires majority stake in Alitalia's frequent flyer programme

Posted 5 February 2015 · Add Comment

Etihad Airways has acquired a 75 per cent stake in Alitalia Loyalty S.p.A, the owner and operator of MilleMiglia, Alitalia's frequent flyer programme, with Alitalia retaining the remaining 25 per cent stake.

Alitalia Loyalty will become part of Global Loyalty Company (GLC), a loyalty and lifestyle company that allows Etihad Airways and its partners to target the global loyalty market more effectively, whilst driving technology and back office synergies. GLC also consists of Etihad Airways’ Etihad Guest, airberlin’s topbonus and Jet Airways’ JetPrivilege programmess. Together, Etihad Guest, topbonus, JetPrivilege and MilleMiglia have a combined total of 14 million members worldwide. 

The addition of MilleMiglia will lead to enhanced opportunities for members to collect and redeem their miles around the world. In addition, it will give GLC true global scale and a critical mass of valuable, high-spending consumers. 

To celebrate this milestone, guests registering to join MilleMiglia before 28 February 2015 will receive a double welcome bonus (2,000 + 2,000 miles). 

James Hogan, president and chief executive officer of Etihad Aviation Group, said: “Etihad Airways’ majority stake in Alitalia Loyalty is a fundamental part of our investment in Alitalia and will position Global Loyalty Company as a leading player in Italy’s loyalty market.

“The loyalty programme sector is a faster growing and higher margin business than the airline industry. This approach allows both Etihad Airways and Alitalia to reap greater rewards together, with opportunities to generate sustained profits from our loyalty programmes. 

“Importantly, this investment also ensures MilleMiglia’s members will benefit from exciting long-term plans to develop Global Loyalty Company into a broader, multi-partner loyalty programme across the core markets of Italy, Germany, India and the United Arab Emirates.”

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Advertisement
Latest News

Will we keep on taking the tablets?

New US and British governments regulations, which prevent passengers carrying electronic devices larger than a cell phone on flights from across the MENA region, may affect the latest in-flight entertainment trend. Steve Nichols

Pegasus Airlines' inaugural flight to Abu Dhabi takes off

Abu Dhabi Airports yesterday welcomed the inaugural Pegasus flight arriving from Istanbul, Turkey. The maiden flight marks the commencement of a direct service three times a week between Abu Dhabi International Airport and Istanbul

Airbus launches new open aviation data platform to support digital

Airbus has launched a new aviation data platform in collaboration with Palantir Technologies – pioneers in big-data integration and advanced analytics. Skywise aims to become the single platform of reference used by all major

PARIS AIRSHOW: Astrobotic and ATLAS announce lunar laser communications payload

Astrobotic, which is making the Moon accessible to the world, and ATLAS Space Operations Inc., the US leader in cloud-based satellite management and control services have announced at the Paris Air Show that they have signed a payload

PARIS AIRSHOW: GE and its JV partners receive more than $31 billion in orders

GE Aviation and its joint venture companies, led by CFM International, announced more than $31 billion (USD) in orders and commitments at this week's Paris Air Show.

PARIS AIRSHOW: Emirates wins World's Best Inflight Entertainment at Skytrax awards

Emirates has won World's Best Inflight Entertainment award for a record 13th year at the prestigious Skytrax World Airline Awards 2017. The airline also picked up the award for Best First Class Comfort Amenities.

Aviation Africa SK18418
See us at
AIME BT1204240118Global Aerospace BT28218DIAC BT1105121117DAS BT1105161117RMIT BT1631817Aviation Africa BT18418